Sunday, February 4, 2018

Joanna Epstein by Augustine Chavez

Alternative process photography is really something I am enjoying. I like the feel that it becomes less about the photograph and more about the expression from the artist combining photography process of today and the past. An artist I come to admire is Joanna Epstein. She is an artist from Spain and has studied art in Chicago. Her work explores issues of mortality and isolation. It is interesting that she allows her process of preparing her paper to become part of the final product. I think this is part of her concept of isolation. The figure becomes abstract and feels isolated. What I also feel that is working for her is she has control of her composition. She makes these dynamic images using both her photographs and her alternative process.


No comments:

Post a Comment