Wednesday, July 30, 2014

KHANA 05 REVIEWS ANDREAS GURSKY

I first came across Andreas Gursky back in 2011 when Yahoo! News brought it to my attention that a photographer sold his painting at auction for $4million. Umm...what? How is that so? Let me check this Andreas Gursky out.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2011/11/15/142342119/meet-the-worlds-most-expensive-photo-part-ii

I had forgotten all about him until I was reminded of him the other day. Me being interested in large-scale photography and printing I came across him once again.

"Andreas Gursky makes large-scale, colour photographs distinctive for their incisive and critical look at the effect of capitalism and globalisation on contemporary life."

Looking at his works on whitecube.com I was astounded at what I was directed towards. The quote below his photos states he makes works as a "critical look at the effect of capitalism and globalisation...." but at first glance I did not notice that. I was mesmerized by the arrangement of the objects in the piece. His "eye" and arrangement of the photographs is what makes it compelling. In a majority of the photographs, the foreground overpowers the background and sky but with the little room he leaves for the piece to breathe it seems to be a perfect balancing act between space and weight.

It is amazing how he creates these aesthetically pleasing compositions of his photographs and the dynamic colors created/present. Some of the photos (Greeley) almost even look fake or if a tilt-shift lense was used.







No comments:

Post a Comment