Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rebecca Villarreal presents Rebecca Villarreal



Okay so just to clarify from the start, I'm not blogging about my own work, I was bored the other day and decided googling myself would cure me of being bored. In then end I found two Rebecca Villarreal's who were photographers and the rest is this blog.

Rebecca's work is defiantly different from mine, I would probably describe her as an alternative landscape photographer. She does both color and black and white photography and seems to have a good eye for both....though I think her color work might be my favorite. Anyways breaking down both portfolios, in her color portfolio she has a more traditional approach to the landscape showing scenes of the beach and sand dunes. The most striking part of the photos are the skies, if she did in photoshop at all to the work she did just enough. It doesn't look to far over done and it doesn't look too grey, if any of that makes sense. The thunder heads just over power the viewer and take up a good portion of the work, but I'm okay with that because I'm not let down on the color. The best way I can describe the work is its just enough.

Her black and white images take on what I would call an alternative landscape, she zooms in on her subjects so much that they are slightly out of focus if not completely out of focus. And this maybe bad of me, but I do enjoy an out of focus picture if its done right. She does it right with her triptych of the beach foam is gorgeous, when I looked at it for the first time I got a loose sense of water before knowing the title and once I read the title. I was quite happy knowing my guess was right but it wasn't upon first glance just a picture of water. Also I have to say she was clever in how she decided to make her triptych pieces different sizes than the traditional equal thirds. She did a great job keeping texture in her pictures, I think some of the images maybe a little too gray but I still enjoy looking at them.

Overall its lovely work and I hope she continues producing artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment