Monday, October 4, 2010

Bling, Bling

So I was in the darkroom office today with Larry and Risa and Larry brought up the photographer Dan Burkholder. Apparently Mr. Burkholder makes platinum prints on gold leaf.






I saw these images and was absolutely blown away at how beautiful they were. I read a little further and apparently he actually prints on a transparent velum and then applies the gold leaf to the back of the print. I think the thing that I am most impressed with is the fact that the print process doesn't 100% make the prints, even if the images were printed as silver gelatin they would still be good images. The gold leaf adds such a quality though that the images take on a whole new dementionality and just utter richness. It feels like the printing process of royality and the Vatican, I could seriously see this style on the walls of Vatican City.

-Ashley Rossi
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.2

No comments:

Post a Comment