Thursday, September 9, 2010

Courtney submits Kemp Davis 9/9/10


This past weekend, I went down to Blue Star for first Friday. There were many photo exhibits this month. The one I was drawn to most was Kathy Drive by Kemp Davis. This series of photos is meant as a walk down memory lane for Davis. Each photo shows a specific memory from his childhood in the neighborhood he grew up in. They remind the viewer of simpler times, when kids played outside...with friends...in nature. These photos may not be as nostalgic to a younger generation than my own. Davis takes shots of simple objects with a shallow depth of field. The background being blurred gives significance to the objects, which are mostly very centered. The objects themselves don't hold the viewers interest for long...til you read the title and explanation. One has a horned lizard with a firecracker in his mouth. The title "Frankie made me do it". His work reminded me of times past, and put a smile on my face from start to finish.

1 comment:

  1. I was drawn to these as well. Another great example of why titles are so very important.

    ReplyDelete