Monday, February 22, 2010

Brittany Kennedy 2/22/10


This weekend I went on a road trip to Houston Tx. My friend lives about ten minutes from the local Children's Museum and Hermann park. On the way to take our dogs to the local park while walking the architectural design of that area in itself screamed art. Loft apartments ordained with such minimalist design and color palette that any artist would be baffled to walk in a area in Houston that less then ten years ago was considered the third ward (or the ghetto). As we continue to walk and I see that they have not only one but three museums along the same street. Aside to this once in Hermann Park I noticed the typical park activities. Picnics, feeding the ducks, people playing with their dogs etc. Then I noticed couples laying in these large free standing sculptures by French artist Bernar Venet. The couples were taking photos and posing, touching the sculptures. Not at all approaching them with the awe stricken attitude that I as an artist had. Then I took note. This is the beauty of public art. The public will see it and not everyone in public has an artistic view. To the common person they were statues in which they could use as scenes for a photo or a playground. I even watched someone laying in the crevice of the sculpture reading a book. Though all forms still allow this artwork to function as art the meaning in which is conveyed is different. For me this work of art in a park was random and unexpected yet much welcomed by my eye. The appreciation to walk my dog and stop to embrace a public work of art in such a stoic line like way intrigued me. My eye went from each panel of steel following the curvilinear motions that complete the piece. For me the interaction of the people viewing this work mixed with my appreciation for the work of art as art made this sculpture a successful pleasing piece to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment