Sunday, November 1, 2009

11/01/09 Risa on Dan Donovan

Dan Donovan is a photographer that I heard about on my trip to St. Louis this weekend. He has a few different series that all cover somewhat different subjects but his style of cpaturing an image is something I found quite striking. The first set of images that I saw of his, he has labelled as Abstract B&W. Everyone of iof these images features a building, primarily the windows of the building. This work seems to be a study of light and refelection, but also of line and angle and pattern. The reason this called to me was that I have found that sometimes I have a similar fascination, and that my photographs take a smilar direction, where the actual objects photographed are not so much the focus of the photo, but are instead the vehicle used to illustrate a fascination with a particular aspect of the world. In most of his other series, his images still hold this fascination with space, line and, and pattern. Though people are sometimes captured in his images, they are rarely the focus (except for the series 2006 World Series, but that has a far more documentary feel than his other work). He also does commercial work, so he is not exclusively a Fine Artist, but the atmosphere he captures in his art photos is something I've had trouble quite putting my finger on, even in my own work.

http://dandonovanfineart.com/#/client/template.xml?aaa=portfolio/11943

No comments:

Post a Comment