Sunday, October 11, 2009

Strange Marfa, by Barbara Justice 10/11/09


Marfa, Texas. It's a small town in West Texas where artists and ranchers coexist. It has an unusual vibe with a constant underlying beat that attracts creators of all kind. I went this past weekend to the opening that is a presentation of Donald Judd's creation. Basically, the whole town is somehow associated with the Judd name. You will find him in your contemporary art book on the same page as the term "minimalism". It's six hours away from San Antonio, so the drive home is a good time period to think about his work. I think his work is minimal transcendentalism. It's cold but spiritual. It's mechanical but inviting.

The thing about the town and surrounding area is I think about "places" we choose to create our work in, and how are work is influenced by our surroundings. I took photographs with my eyes because I could have spent two weeks there taking shots and exploring. I just couldn't capture everything I wanted to in two days. This photo is by artist in residence there named Adam Davies. This is what the landscape looks like. This is a place I will contiually go back to. Think about where you choose to create, because it will influence the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment