Monday, October 26, 2009

Barbara Kruger

Brittany Kennedy 10/25/09
Barbara Kruger's "I Shop Therefore I am" photograph is an image that I was very impressed with when I came across her work in Contemporary Art. I immediately identified with her concept and was actually inspired by her work that influenced my concept of exposing consumerism. There is something about fashion which in my opinion is a art form in itself versus consumerism and the role of the buyer that I am intrigued by. For many people more than anything women shopping is an art form. Find the best sales, get the best discounts, shop in one day, budget shop for Christmas by getting gifts a year in advance. The whole dynamic of the concept has so many variables that one such as myself feels entrapped and entranced in the whole idea of Fashion versus consumerism. Fashion is glamorous to the outsiders eye and consumerism is the opposite. Barbara Kruger addresses the topic of shopping in this photograph in a very simple way. From a conceptional view the work is broad yet specific and then the formality of the photograph is border line minimalist. The shapes are simple and yet the color is specific. Red is a color of warning or danger yet why is shopping dangerous? The white is symbolic of innocence and enhances the contrast from the red background "but if shopping is dangerous and we should be warned then why do people do it so innocently" I believe her choice in color for this photograph is very appropriate and makes it a successful work of art.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, some interesting points that you brought up! I hadn't really thought about her work in that much depth. I mean, I always kind of took it as a joke, but after reading your analysis of her work I realize it's much more than that.

    ReplyDelete