Friday, October 9, 2009

10/09/09 Risa Morales - Ryan Takaba

Ryan Takaba is not a photographer, but rather a ceramic artist. I saw his work at the Joan Grona gallery at Blue Star. His ceramic pieces were displayed with small flowers in them, and showing only the slightest amount of reflective water. Each of the pieces was elegant and simple, using self-glazing clay to add just a tinge of color and sheen. The simple grace of the forms is appealing, and the delicate addition of the flower only adds to the quiet beauty of the work. Each piece was relatively small, nothing reaching beyond, or even coming very close to a foot cubed in space. I enjoyed walking around his pieces and even found myself crouching down to get at eye level to inspect the clay surfaces. If anyone is interested I think his work still still be at Joan Grona gallery for a while yet.

Here is a link to his sito: http://ryantakaba.com/home.html

1 comment:

  1. They were wonderful weren't they? I was even more drawn to the other artist showing with him...with the houses...but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete