Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brittany Gates - Josefa Mulaire


Sorry, this is a day late. No excuses, I just flat out forgot...

I took Libby's advice from her comment on my entry on Judith Golden, and looked at Josefa Mulaire's work.

Josefa also works with collage, among other things.

Her collages are portraits of her family members. But, not all of the images in the collages are body parts of the person they represent. In the picture I've posted, she has done a portrait of her son. I lot of the images make up his face and body, but a lot of them are crayon scribbles. I assume these are drawings done by her son, and I think it's a fun idea to include them in his portrait. I also really like that she included his shadow to the right.

She has two more collages up on her site of other family members. These ones are of adults, and so some of the images show things that are a little more explicit. One portrait of a woman has an image of a black eye, as well as rashes and injuries.

Even if these are a little uncomfortable to look at, they are really interesting. They are not your typical portraits and they allow you a little more insight into the subject's life.

I encourage you to look at her work, you can find it at her site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment