Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bianca Pitman 09/16---Downtown Campus Show

As I was strolling through the downtown campus on my way to class I noticed that there was a photography show in one of the gallery rooms. This photo show consisted of grade school photographers from elementary through highschool level. I do not recall the youngest age that was represented but the oldest was 18 years old. I was definitely impressed by some of the images that they captured. There was an image of ducks and geese that were slightly out of focus but it made me flash back to my childhood years of chasing the ducks near the pond. I enjoyed the composition of the image and since it was slightly out of focus it looked like a memory. There were many floral images that were both beautiful and yet monotonous. I saw a picture of a white entry door laying abandoned in the grass and though there were some issues with the composition and style- the idea was fantastic. One of the winning images, 2nd place I believe, was caught as the photgrapher lay in the tall weeds and snapped the image looking up at the sky. I enjoyed the fine lines and angles of perspective that this image touched on. This show was really interesting and I am glad I caught it. I wish that when I was younger I had had the chance to try photography. I didn't even begin my journey into this amazing art until I was in college. I find that often times my son or daughter will snap a picture with no pre-existing ideas or intentions and it seems like the image that results is so...true. I think that the idea of handing a child a camera and letting them explore and snap pictures at will--will bring out the innocence and purity in what they see in the world. Sure the images may be blurred, out of focus and pointed at their untied shoe in the mud---but in that moment...they caught a simple definition of childhood. I want to do that. :) I guess I have my mentors right here in my house. I shall watch and learn. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment