Saturday, September 5, 2009

9/5/09 Monica Garcia--- Miru Kim

Unfortunately I have not been able to go and see any exhibit yet due to taking eighteen hours, working part time, and having unexpected events occur, but I will make it soon! So in the mean time I have been doing research on an artist that my friend had mentioned to me. Miru Kim a New York based artist who has an interesting series by the name of Naked City Spleen. This series is basically of her taking pictures of abandoned places with her in the shot nude. During an interview she was asked as to why she took the pictures nude and her answer made a lot of sense, "The fictional character I wanted to create had to be universal, and clothes make the living being too culturally specific and time-specific." Although a lot of the pictures make you wonder how or why, I find them strange, creepy, yet I still want more of them. My favorite would be Richmond, Philadelphia. The structure itself and the lighting are just breath taking, the way she is positioned gives the picture that intriguing quality. Overall her series gives my the inspiration to be a little more adventures with my pictures. Kim is currently working on a series with animals and that should be another wild ride. She is featured in several magazines and has also named one of America's Best and Brightest in Esquire 2007. For those of you who are interested in looking at her art she does have a website: mirukim.com, until next time with a blog of an exhibit I actually attended I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you chose to blog about this artist, she is amazing! I looked through her Naked City Spleen set and they are all beautiful. It was really hard to pick a favorite but I think I would have to pick the first one in "Freedom Tunnel, New York". The way she is standing there with that glow around her makes her look very ethereal.
    -Brittany G.

    ReplyDelete