Saturday, September 19, 2009

9/19/09 Monica Garcia--- Far Close Places

So this week I was able to attend the gallery at school. As we all know it is titled Far Close Places and has the works of Luisa Wheeler, Brenda Davidson-Shaddox and Thomas Neff. I started off by viewing the work of Luisa Wheeler. Her journey was through most of India. What I enjoyed the most about her photos were the lush colors in the clothing that the culture wears. In her picture I feel as if I understand the culture and their way of living. She was able to capture their work ethics and what they do on a daily bases. My favorite was Tuesday Mornings seeing the ladies run across the road with what looked like hay over there head was really interesting.

As I walked my way through the gallery I came across the works of Brenda Davidson-Shaddox. Her work was mainly portraits of people from one country but different tribes if I remember reading that correctly. She goes at least once a year to continue with this project. What I found interesting about hers was probably the large scale. The people are kind of in your face and say hey look at me. My favorite from her series was Chief’s Wife; the smoke that she blows out gives the picture a little oomph and character as well.

Last but not least I walked around to Thomas Neff’s series the black and white photos (yay!). On his trip to Asia we has able to take two kinds of series, as one start off his first half has to do with China and street life. These were amazing, I love seeing people in action from different cultures it gives me a sense of who they are. My favorite though oddly enough was the one without people, it was Grain Sacks. I like this one because of the lighting it hit everything so well and I was just mesmerized by it. His second half dealt with his trek through Japan. These were all very nice and dealt with the scenery around him and nature. I can’t wait until the day I get travel and hopeful take amazing pictures like his. Well that’s it for now folks…until next time!

1 comment:

  1. 9/19/09 Kraig Van Winkle

    I actually went to the Thomas Neff presentation and he had alot of interesting stories to say about his travels to Japan and his work in New Orleans. I looked up some of the history behind some of the photos he took and that photo of the sign over the bridge entrance stated that if one of the fish in the river jumps over the bridge, it becomes a dragon to fly away. Interesting history in Japan, awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete