Saturday, September 19, 2009

9/19/09 Brittany Gates - David Hockney




For this weeks blog, I decided to go back and look at an artist that I have been inspired by for awhile. David Hockney's work with photo collage is what gave me the idea to do the portrait collages I have been working on since last semester.

I love his play on space and proportion, and have had a lot of fun doing it in my own work. He has two different types of collages he does. Some of them are composite Polaroid collages, and some are regular photographs. In his Polaroid pieces, his final images are always rectangular and even. In his other collages, their is no real final shape. The final pieces just kind of end when he wants them to. I know a lot of people are bothered by that fact, but I kind of like it.

The perspective of the final image is so warped anyway, that I think the misshapen outline of the collection of photos only adds to its oddness. In a good way.

Going back and looking at Hockney's work reminds me why I started on my collage projects and what I love about them. I think we need that sometimes. As artists, it's easy to get frustrated with our work and to sometimes forget why it is that we started it in the first place. We should make sure to take time once in awhile to reflect and remind ourselves, "Oh yeah, that's why I'm an artist, because I have fun doing this."

This is usually hardest during final portfolio week.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I love the idea that each photograph tells a different story and as a whole tell a different one! I wonder how this could be worked into our sequencing project?? :)

    Stephanie Abraham

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it! I definitely recommend it, it's a lot of fun to play with.

    Brittany Gates

    ReplyDelete