Thursday, September 17, 2009

9/17/2009 Risa - Belinda Davidson-Shaddox

I know this is a bit late for last week's entry, but I figured better late than not at all. I went to the UTSA 1604 campus art gallery on 2nd floor of the art/music building. There the works of three artists were on display, one of whom was Belinda Davidson-Shaddox. Her featured works were portraits of various peoples. Each image was very well printed, with care taken in the presentation. The color in the photos took inot consideration the "costume" (or outfit) of the subject, and were quite rich, providing a wonderfully striking visual. The images were fairly standard in terms of com portrait composition, largely headshots with some upper torso. The people that were photographed, though had character and life, each individual and unique, captured in wonderful detail in each of the images. In my opinion this was a successful show, as the subjects of the photos were not an entirely foreign concept (many photographers like to take images of wrinkly old men!), but managed to capture at least one element of personality within them. I think I might have liked to see more images from this artist, but I understand the space constraints of the gallery, so I suppose I will just have to wait for her next show!

~Risa

No comments:

Post a Comment