Sunday, September 13, 2009

9/12 /9 Albert Sanchez



This week I looked through the work of a few of the photographers recommended to us in class. I usually write them down and never check out their work, but I’ve decided to change my evil ways. Also, I’ve been in a bit of a funk and am hoping to find some inspiration. One of the artists’ I viewed was Jody Ake. His revival of the almost dead ambrotype makes me wonder why we ever left this practice. The images hold a very vintage and uniquely mysterious quality. Each photo is given character and individuality by its “flaws”. (Brush strokes, burnt edges, etc.) The imperfections only drew me closer and I found myself with my nose almost touching my monitor; trying to soak it all in. When I viewed his emotionless gazing portraits, I felt as if I was seeing a side of the person not usually seen by the world. I’m not sure how to explain it, but their penetrating eyes look through you with an awkward conviction. I am now very interested in this process and wonder if it can be recreated digitally.
Another artists’ work I viewed was that of Uta Barth. Her work is very simplistic and bright. I actually did work similar to her “out of focus” work last semester, but concentrated primarily on light. Viewing her work as given me insight to this concept and I may just revisit this style of shooting.

4 comments:

  1. The photo by Uta Barth is very interesting. It actually caught my attention before the photos posted above it. The photo is out of focus to the point that the viewer has to more than glance at the photo to see what it contains. I have never tried to shoot this way...could be a challenge. I like this and am interested in seeing more of her work. Going to check it out now!

    -Stephanie Abraham

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i first saw the first photos of the faces but i just keep looking at the uta barth photo. it makes me wanna try and figure out what is really there. i do like the effect and the way it plays with your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to sign your comments!
    Albert, Jody gives workshops from time to time. You might look him up and see if he will be anywhere in the area any time soon.
    trying to reproduce this effect digitally would be an interesting undertaking...I wonder if you could, but deep down, I don't know if it would be as amazing...and you have only seen them reproduced online. In person, the images are stunning.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete